Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Commoners

All my life I have been a Christian. My denomination as a Catholic introduced the Christian faith to me since I was born and I furthered my studies through bible study Fridays with a youth group. It wasn't until my junior year in high school when I started to learn about the secular ideas that didn't flow right with my faith. So I asked questions, and got answers. I asked more questions afterward, and got more answers. I repeated this cycle, and what I found were things that actually affirmed my faith. Not only did I learn new things, but my faith grew as a result. What you may be surprised about is that some of the questions I have, you too have. So lets begin.

Open Mindedness:
Open-mindedness is usually considered a virtue in our society, but when it comes to religion, often it seems to be close-mindedness that is considered virtuous, and this is often the basis for religious belief.
- Dave Bruemmer of the Daily Titan 2007
What's funny about the quote above is that I could say the same thing about atheists. But Dave has a point. I've encountered many questions where I did not know the answer to and I would just recite what was taught to me about God. For instance, to "How can you tell me that God is real when he let's others like me suffer in pain watching my loved one die?" I would say "God makes you suffer so you can grow closer to him," then I would go into an example. Now I would say that Dave's viewpoint may be correct in this sense that a reasonably cliche answer was given.

Though God wants us to grow closer to him, he definitely doesn't want us to suffer doing it. But that's what this blog is about, logical answers to logical questions on faith. "So tell me Mr. Know-it-all, why does God allow suffering?" It's quite simple really, we live in an imperfect world. More on that later, for now, just take that into consideration. The point is that there are open minded faith based answers to those hard questions people have in the back of their heads. Though science may try to point out fallacies, to each their own. Christians may give cliche answers, but that doesn't mean it's false and most certainly doesn't mean Christian's are close minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment